Databases & Online Reference
*The New York State Library currently provides free access to online resources through the New York Online Virtual Electronic Library (NOVEL NY). This statewide program is funded by the Federal Institute of Museum and Library Services through a Library Services and Technology Act grant. Additional databases are provided by the Onondaga County Public Library (OCPL) system.
Find local agencies and organizations that can provide aid and resource on a variety of health and wellness topics, including mental health, substance abuse, health care and more.
Over 12,000 journals and reference sources, many of which are peer-reviewed and full text. It has extensive coverage of the physical sciences, technology, medicine, social sciences, the arts, theology, literature and more.
Provides access to a wide range of resources for genealogical and historical research. It includes all available records from the United States Census (1790-1940); military records; court, land and probate records; vital and church records; directories; passenger lists and more.
Live Tutors are available from 2:00 PM to 11:00 PM daily. Live Tutoring offers live tutor access for homework help, skills building and test preparation. Because HelpNow is personalized, both the student and the tutor can access quiz questions to do an intensive test prep which may include loading lessons on the whiteboard. All live sessions are saved and can be replayed as well as shared with friends and teachers by email. Using the CloudPack feature, students can store and upload MS Word, Excel, JPG, and other accepted file types directly onto the whiteboard.
Test Preparation in SkillSurfer includes practice tests and study guides for the GED, SAT, PSAT, HiSET, ACT, AP classes, TOEFL, TOEIC, CLEP, THEA, TEAS, common core skills building, ESL, college application assistance, and a parent corner.
The Writing Lab and the 24/7 Center features give patrons the freedom to receive assistance at any time of the day without connecting with a live tutor. Users can submit papers through the Writing Lab for detailed feedback. 24/7 Center is for non-writing assignments such as math or science.
MEET allows students to schedule their own online sessions using the Brainfuse MEET whiteboard which is specifically designed for a group setting. Brainwave is a recordable whiteboard where students can draw, write on the whiteboard and chat then save and email it to others for feedback.
Adult Learning Center is the adult learners’ version of HelpNow™ where patrons can access High School Equivalency prep, US Citizenship test prep, resume assistance, Microsoft Office support, and Career Resources. The Writing Lab, Send Question, and Skills Building are also included in the Adult Learning Center suite.
An online magazine for booklovers - including reviews, previews, "behind the book" backstories, author interviews, reading guides, and much more.
An accurate, current, and comprehensive resource for college-level learners, researchers, and faculty. Discover encyclopedia articles, full-text journal and magazine articles, primary sources, multimedia, and other unique resources and tools that make research easier and more productive.
Thousands of up-to-date, curated and curriculum-relevant articles, images, videos, audio clips, primary sources, maps, research tools, recommended Web sites and 3 separate databases for elementary, middle or high school students. There is Read-aloud, a font size adjuster, and built-in translation tools support students with special needs and ELLs.
Provides in depth coverage of businesses, including company profiles, industry profiles, products and brands, financial reports, company rankings, histories and full text periodical articles. Efficiently research business case studies, competitive intelligence and career and investment opportunities.
A business and consumer research tool to use for quick lookups or creating customized lists. Includes listings for more than 14 million U.S. business, 4 million new businesses, 1.5 million Canadian businesses, more than 800,000 U.S. physicians and dentists and 210 million U.S. residences. Profiles include contact and other directory information. Advanced search allows users to do reverse phone number lookups, search by yellow page heading, business SIC code, zip code, SMSA and more.
Webinars – ReferenceUSA™ (data-axle.com)
Business basics search instructions
Microsoft Word - ReferenceUSA Overview- Busienss Databases.docx (data-axle.com)
To Download the Mobile App:
- On your mobile device, navigate to the App Store® (iOS) or Google Play™ (Android) application icon.
- Search for Data Axle Reference Solutions application and download it on your mobile device.
- Click the Data Axle Reference Solutions icon on your mobile device.
- Enter your library’s 5-digit ZIP Code, and then click Find Library.
- Select your library in the list.
iOS: Scroll to your library, and then click Done.
Android: Select a library from the list.
- Enter your library card number, and then select Remember Me (optional).
- You are now logged into the application on your mobile device
Your Driver Education program contains the following state-specific information:
- 10 car practice tests
- 6 motorcycle practice tests
- 3 CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) practice tests
- 3 online driver’s manuals (car, motorcycle, CDL)
- An FAQ section with detailed answers to 100+ DMV-related questions
Computer-related product introductions, news and reviews in areas such as hardware, software, electronics, engineering, communications and the application of technology.
Resource for educators and education students. Provides access to periodicals covering pre-school to college and most educational specialties. Also contains federal and international reports and publications, including full-text for many titles cited in ERIC.
Formerly Kids InfoBits
Look here for trusted information on topics in social studies, science, language arts, and more. Access videos, magazine and news articles, images, and books in an age-appropriate resource with tools designed to develop research skills. Elementary supports literacy, enhances learning, and encourages exploration.
Tutorial for teachers: https://support.gale.com/doc/itke-video2
Formerly Research in Context
Resource for students in grades 6 to 8. Offers magazines, newspapers, primary sources, over 12,000 videos and more on a variety of topics. Supports national and state curriculum standards in language arts, social studies and science.
Cross-search, read, download, and email chapters from a growing collection of reference books. There is no loaning or checking out - the books are always available to be read on your computer or portable device. GVRL has ReadSpeaker text-to-speech technology built in for 19 languages and on-demand translation for 11 languages.
Over 12,000 periodicals, newspapers, reference books and multimedia sources, over half of which are full text. The backfile extends nearly 30 years. Subjects include humanities, education, environmental issues, technology, health care, politics and more.
- Small Business Collection: Collection of periodicals supporting business school students and entrepreneurs.
- Military and Intelligence Collection: Collection of periodicals supporting state and military affairs
- U.S. History Collection: A collection of journals covering of both current thought on events in U.S. history as well as scholarly work established in the field.
- World History Collection: Balanced coverage of events in World History. Useful both to the novice historian and to the advanced academic researcher.
Science and Technology
- Computer Database: Computer-related product introductions, news and reviews in areas such as hardware, software, electronics, engineering, communications and the application of technology.
- General Science Collection: Provides coverage of all scientific endeavor, including particle physics, quantum theory, advanced mathematics, and biotechnology from more than 275 academic journals and general science-focused magazines.
Over 2800 journals and magazines, many of which are full text. It contains nursing and allied health journals, medical journals, newsletters and consumer health magazines.
- Nursing and Allied Health Collection: Covers all aspects of the Nursing profession - from direct patient care to health care administration – with content from more than 380 journals.
- Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine: Articles from more than 60 journal titles in the fields of physical therapy and sports medicine. Topics include proven treatment techniques, experimental research theses and many more.
Access full text articles from more than 1000 major U.S. regional, national and local newspapers as well as leading international titles. Search articles by title, headline, date, author or newspaper section. New York Newspapers includes the Syracuse Post Standard (1996-current).
Lynda.com is now LinkedIn Learning! LinkedIn Learning offers the same content and experience as Lynda.com, and preserves Lynda.com's extensive collection of award-winning online courses and video tutorials to help you learn business, technical and creative skills. Achieve your personal and professional goals. Courses are taught by recognized industry experts. Learn what you want, when you want, from our entire library. Build custom playlists to organize courses you want to watch. Watch courses on your computer, tablet, or mobile device. Switch back and forth without ever losing your place.
To use the LinkedIn Learning App:
- BEFORE using the app, set up your account online by clicking the LinkedIn Learning link on your library's website.
- Download the free LinkedIn Learning app from an app store.
- When you open the app, choose "Sign In", even if you have never used Lynda.com or LinkedIn Learning.
- Leave the email box blank and click on blue text "Sign in with your library card."
- Enter our Library ID, "onondagacounty" at the end of the address.
- Follow prompts for email, library card number and PIN.
For parents and caregivers of teens
This research website will help you and your family find information and support resources to assist with a wide range of mental health and substance abuse issues. Check out books available, access premium online resources and health databases using your Onondaga County Public Library card.
A portal for learning more about the people, places and events that contributed to the making of New York State.
A comprehensive news collection ideal for exploring issues and events at the local, national and international level. Titles include over 3,650 American newspapers, blogs, newswires, news magazines, journals, international special reports and videos. Jump to suggested trending topics or special collections like the Onondaga County Newspapers and the Post-Standard. All papers are in full text or are fully searchable digital images. Customized email alerts can be set up to follow a particular topic or news event of interest.
These search tips will help you get started and retrieve the best results.
A searchable archive of digital images from US and international newspapers. Coverage includes more than 750 cities and over 2000 newspaper titles. Included in the collection is a searchable archive of Syracuse newspapers from 1857 forward. This collection includes full text and images of newspaper pages.
Database covering more than 120,000 adult, teen and children’s fiction and non-fiction titles. Find reviews, hundreds of theme-oriented book lists for readers at all grade levels, award-winning and recommended titles, read-alikes, book reviews and much more.
Provides overviews, pro/con essays, articles from reference books, newspapers, and magazines, and links to websites, podcasts and videos on over 5,000 topics. Supports NYS Common Core.
Retrieve digital images from the New York Times Eastern edition or the Wall Street Journal Late edition from 2008 to present. Unlike a database, you will need to select a date to view the newspaper image. Subject or keyword searching to locate articles is not available in the digital microfilm.