Request an Interlibrary Loan
Our Interlibrary Loan [ILL] service obtains materials not available within the Onondaga County Public Library system. Speak with a librarian to make sure that the materials in our collection cannot fulfill your request. If they cannot, ask about ILL.
To place a request, please call or visit your local library. We cannot accept ILL requests online or through email at this time.
Interlibrary Loan FAQs
What types of materials may be requested through ILL?
We do not borrow:
- Playaways, downloadable books or ebooks
- Whole issues of periodicals
- Titles owned in the OCPL system
- Books or other items that are published or released in the current year
How many ILL items may be borrowed/requested at one time?
Patrons may have up to 5 active requests at one time. [Active = pending, held or checked out]
How are materials requested through ILL?
- ILL request forms are available at all libraries within the system. Requests may be submitted by filling out the form below, by calling the library or in person.
- Patrons requesting ILL service must use their own valid OCPL cards (no fines or overdue items, must have current address and phone number).
- Patrons should specify the library most convenient for pickup AND return. The material requested will be sent to that library and must be returned there.
Responsibilities of Patrons
Patrons using the Interlibrary Loan service are responsible for the timely return of the items obtained for them as well as for any charges resulting from loss of or damage to the materials requested.
How long may ILL materials be kept?
- Loan periods are determined by the lending library.
- Renewals are sometimes allowed and must be requested before the due date- Please contact library from which you picked up the item 4-5 days prior to the due date to ask for an extension. Patrons may not request the same title more than once in a 6 month time period.
How soon do ILL materials arrive?
- Materials usually arrive within 3-4 weeks of the date of the request.
- Sometimes they arrive much sooner, but some types of materials (e.g., Canadian census microfilm) typically take much longer.
- If material is needed by a certain date, that date should be indicated on the request form.
- ILL items should be picked up promptly—loan periods start when the items are sent, not at checkout.