Get a Library Card – Circulation Policies
Get a Library Card
Adults need a valid photo ID and proof of current mailing address. Children must be at least 5 years old to get a library card. Children (ages 12 and younger) applying for a library card should be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
You need a current photo ID with current address OR two forms of identification which together show a current photo and current address. Frequently used types of identification include current driver's license, sheriff's identification, school ID, automobile registration, bus pass or a piece of mail.
Using the Library
Your library card is valid at all 32 Onondaga County Public Libraries (OCPL).
Must have your library card or picture ID to check items out
- Maximum of 50 items can be on a card at one time
- Of these 50 items, you are allowed a maximum of 2 Lucky Day books, 10 DVDs, 10 music CDs, 2 Playaway Launchpads/Views and 2 Library of Things devices
- eBooks & Digital Downloads:
- Libby by Overdrive - 10 items
- Hoopla - 6 downloads per month
- Reference materials and newspapers do not circulate.
- Books, audiobooks, music and magazines are loanable for 3 weeks
- Exception: Lucky Day books are loanable for 1 week with 1 automatic renewal
- DVDs/Blu-rays are loanable for 1 week
- Exception: TV series seasons are loanable for 3 weeks
- Automatic Renewals - All OFL items are allowed 2 automatic renewals - These renewals are granted 3 days before the item is due and the renewal will only go through if the item has not been requested by another patron. You can check the item renewal status through your account or by calling the library.
*If you would like to receive email notifications about renewal due dates please ask a library staff member.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are borrowing an item from another library in Onondaga County, it may not have automatic renewals. Please contact the owning library to inquire about automatic renewals.
You can request items to be reserved for you
- When placing a hold, you have the option of which library you would like to pick it up.
- Once your request has come in and you are notified via email, phone call or text, you will have 7 days to pick up the item
- You are allowed up to 50 hold requests at one time
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL): If what you want is not available within the OCPL system, contact the library to put in a request for an ILL. LEARN MORE...
- Items can be returned to any other Onondaga County Public Library
- Lucky Day books must be returned to OFL
- Library of Things items, Storytime-to-Go Kits, Playaway Launchpads and oversized books must be returned to OFL's front desk
WHAT THIS MEANS FOR YOU:
- You will no longer receive late fines on most of our library collections.
- Fines will still apply for items in our Library of Things collection, including, but not limited to:
- Park passes
- The library will continue to send you reminders to return your items - Be sure you have a current email address listed in your library account to receive notifications.
Notices you will receive:
- Almost Due: 3 OR 7 days prior to due date (depending on original loan period of item)
- 1st Overdue: 10 days past due date
- 2nd Overdue: 7 days after 1st Overdue notice
- 3rd Overdue: 7 days after 2nd Overdue notice
- After 30 days, items will be declared lost and patron will be charged for the replacement cost.
- If you have overdue fines from other libraries in the OCPL system, you are still responsible for paying these. You can pay these fines at any library in the system, including OFL.
- If you check out materials while visiting another library in OCPL, you could still be charged fines based on that library’s fine policy (some libraries have fines, others do not). Fines are set by the lending library.
- Replacement fees for OFL's lost or damaged items still apply. Items must be returned in good condition. Your library account will be charged replacement costs for the item including, but not limited to: water damage, food/drink stains, rips/tears, writing/drawing. Ask staff for assistance with replacing damaged items.
- If OFL's borrowed materials are not returned, you will be charged a replacement cost. Materials that are 30 days overdue are assumed lost and the replacement cost will be assessed to your card. Patrons will be prohibited from borrowing library materials if there is $10 or more in charges on their library account.
- Starting at 14 days after your account reaches $100 in charges, your account will be sent to the UMS Collection agency. A $10 charge to cover collection costs will be placed on your account. Please return your materials in a timely manner to prevent this from happening.
Note: Circulation and fine policies vary among Onondaga County Public Libraries. Check your receipt for due dates.