Get a Library Card
Adults need a valid photo ID and proof of current mailing address. Children must be at least 5 years old to get a library card. Children (ages 12 and younger) applying for a library card should be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
You need a current photo ID with current address OR two forms of identification which together show a current photo and current address. Frequently used types of identification include current driver's license, sheriff's identification, school ID, automobile registration, bus pass or a piece of mail.
Using the Library
Your library card is valid at all 32 Onondaga County Public Libraries (OCPL).
Checking Out Materials
Must have your library card or picture ID to check items out
- Maximum of 50 items can be on a card at one time
- Of these 50 items, you are allowed a maximum of 2 Lucky Day books, 10 DVDs, 10 music CDs, 2 Playaway Launchpads/Views and 2 Library of Things devices
- eBooks & Digital Downloads:
- Reference materials and newspapers do not circulate.
- Books, audiobooks, music and magazines are loanable for 3 weeks
- Exception: Lucky Day books are loanable for 1 week with 1 automatic renewal
- DVDs/Blu-rays are loanable for 1 week
- Exception: TV series seasons are loanable for 3 weeks
- Automatic Renewals - All OFL items are allowed 2 automatic renewals - These renewals are granted 3 days before the item is due and the renewal will only go through if the item has not been requested by another patron. You can check the item renewal status through your account or by calling the library.
*If you would like to receive email notifications about renewal due dates please ask a library staff member.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are borrowing an item from another library in Onondaga County, it may not have automatic renewals. Please contact the owning library to inquire about automatic renewals.
You can request items to be reserved for you
- When placing a hold, you have the option of which library you would like to pick it up.
- Once your request has come in and you are notified via email, phone call or text, you will have 7 days to pick up the item
- You are allowed up to 50 hold requests at one time
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL): If what you want is not available within the OCPL system, contact the library to put in a request for an ILL. LEARN MORE...
- Fines must be under $10 to check out materials from OFL
- Adult items: 25¢ per day / max $10
- Children's & Teen items: Fine free
- Veterans: Fine free - must show military ID to library staff
- Grace Day: When you return items to OFL, you get 1 grace day
- Paying Fines:
- You can pay fines at any Onondaga County Public Library – OFL accepts cash or checks payable to Onondaga Free Library
- If you have fines of $3 or more, you can pay online by logging into your account using a credit card or Paypal. You can also pay with a credit card at the library's 2nd floor Print Release Station.
- Fine Waivers:
- One-time half fine waiver at the discretion of the library director – only overdue fines
Note: Circulation and fine policies vary among Onondaga County Public Libraries. Check your receipt for due dates.