Get a Temporary Digital Card Online
OCPL has introduced a temporary digital library card to provide you access to online content including downloadable and streaming ebooks, audiobooks, videos and music, online learning opportunities, and research databases.
Before You Register:
- This is for anyone who does not already have a library card. If you have a card, but cannot access the digital collections, please contact us.
- This is a TEMPORARY library card. To convert your temporary digital library card to a permanent library card, visit OFL when we reopen with the appropriate forms of identification.
After you register, you be given your library card number ["PACREG"+number]. You will need this and your PIN to access the library's online content.
Once you have registered, visit these pages to see our online collections:
Get a Library Card in Person
Adults need a valid photo ID and proof of current mailing address. Children must be at least 5 years old to get a library card. Children (ages 12 and younger) applying for a library card should be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
You need a current photo ID with current address OR two forms of identification which together show a current photo and current address. Frequently used types of identification include current driver's license, sheriff's identification, school ID, automobile registration, bus pass or a piece of mail.
Using the Library
Your library card is valid at all 32 Onondaga County Public Libraries (OCPL).
Checking Out Materials
Must have your library card or picture ID to check items out
- Maximum of 50 items can be on a card at one time
- Of these 50 items, you are allowed a maximum of 2 Lucky Day books, 10 DVDs (including 1 Fast Flick), 10 music CDs and 2 Playaway Views
- eBooks & Digital Downloads:
- Reference materials and newspapers do not circulate.
- Books, audiobooks, music and magazines are loanable for 3 weeks
- Lucky Day books are loanable for 1 week with 1 automatic renewal
- DVDs/Blu-rays are loanable for 1 week
- Fast flicks are loanable for 3 days with 1 optional renewal
- TV series seasons are loanable for 3 weeks
- Automatic Renewals - All OFL items are allowed 2 automatic renewals - These renewals are granted 3 days before the item is due and the renewal will only go through if the item has not been requested by another patron. You can check the item renewal status through your account or by calling the library.
*If you would like to receive email notifications about renewal due dates please ask a library staff member.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are borrowing an item from another library in Onondaga County, it may not have automatic renewals. Please contact the owning library to inquire about automatic renewals.
You can request items to be reserved for you
- When placing a hold, you have the option of which library you would like to pick it up.
- Once your request has come in and you are notified via email, phone or mobile text, you will have 7 days to pick up the item
- You are allowed up to 50 hold requests at one time
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL): If what you want is not available within the OCPL system, contact the library to put in a request for an ILL. Click here for more information about requesting ILLs.
- Items can be returned to any other Onondaga County Public Library
- Lucky Day books and Fast Flicks must be returned to OFL
- Library of Things items & Playaway Launchpads must be returned to OFL's front desk
- Fines must be under $10 to check out materials from OFL
- Adult items: 25¢ per day / max $10
- Children's & Teen items: Fine free
- Veterans: Fine free - must show military ID to library staff
- Grace Day: When you return items to OFL, you get 1 grace day
- Paying Fines:
- You can pay fines at any Onondaga County Public Library – OFL accepts cash or checks payable to Onondaga Free Library
- If you have fines of $3 or more, you can pay online by logging into your account using a credit card or Paypal.
- Fine Waivers:
- One-time half fine waiver at the discretion of the library director – only overdue fines
Note: Circulation and fine policies vary among OCPL. Check your receipt for due dates.