The mission of Onondaga Free Library is to provide access to all for lifelong learning, innovative programs and services, and to promote the literacy and well being of the community.
The Onondaga Free Library is located on Onondaga Hill. Its chartered service area is the Town of Onondaga and the portion of the Westhill School District within the Town of Geddes. Founded in 1960, this modern free association library was expanded and renovated in 2010.
- March 9 - A town meeting initiates the process of developing a library by generating enthusiasm and volunteers for the project.
- Dec. 3 - A provisional charter was granted by the New York State Education Department. Onondaga Free Library opened in a single room of the Town of Onondaga Town Hall.
- After one year of existence the library:
- Collection - 2,900 books
- Circulation - 10,660 items
- Open 19 hours a week
- The Onondaga Free Library is granted an Absolute Charter by the New York State Department of Education Board of Regents.
- The library begins to work on designing a new building to allow for growth of the library.
- The library purchases a lot on West Seneca Turnpike and construction on the new building commences.
- The new building was dedicated on December 14, 1969.
- The new building and other factors contribute to a dramatic rise in library use. Following the first year in the new building library statistics are:
- Collection - 11,400 books
- Circulation - 46,000 items checked out
- Open 32 hours a week
- The library basement is improved resulting in a more useful meeting room.
- The expansion is completed allowing the circulation desk and children's department to be moved to the ground floor.
- Onondaga Free Library joins the Onondaga County Public Libraries' automated circulation and interlibrary loan system.
- Number of patrons exceeds 50,000 for the first time.
- November 4 - Referendum was voter approved which made an expansion to the current library possible.
- May 2 - Groundbreaking ceremony
- May 1 - One day short of a year from its groundbreaking ceremony, OFL holds its Grand Opening. The new building, which is nearly 3 times its previous square footage, features a new Onondaga Woods children's area, teen laptop bar, fireplace/living room area, senior space, a large community room as well as 3 smaller meeting rooms to be used for library programming and community groups.
- Collection - 101,342 items
- Circulation - 228,958 items checked out
- Open 57 hours a week